Choosing a surgeon can be an overwhelming task for patients, particularly one that is...
Skin Cancer Fort Myers
Conveniently located to serve Fort Myers, Naples, and Bonita Springs
Skin cancers are very common and occur frequently on the face. Eyelid skin cancer occurs most frequently on the lower eyelid.
Types of Skin Cancer
There are three kinds of skin cancer that occur:
- Basal Cell Carcinoma – The most common kind of skin cancer, basal cell carcinoma, presents as masses or lumps that grow on the neck or the face. These masses are slow to grow and can be treated successfully in their early stages.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma – This form of cancer appears as red lesions on the skin’s surface. The lesions may appear scaly as well. Growth is aggressive, and prompt treatment is necessary.
- Melanoma – This form of skin cancer is rare. Instead of the skin cells, the melanocytes are affected. Melanocytes are cells that produce the skin’s pigment.
Diagnosing Skin Cancer
Before Dr. Laquis recommends a treatment, he will first examine the affected skin to ascertain the type of skin cancer and its current stage. A biopsy is usually done to confirm the diagnosis. After diagnosing your condition, Dr. Laquis will recommend the ideal treatment plan for you.
Procedures Used to Address Skin Cancer
The exact type of treatment you will need to address your skin cancer will depend on the size, shape, stage, and form of your skin cancer. In situations where the surface of the skin is affected, Dr. Laquis can recommend surgery in Fort Myers to remove the growth.
There are various kinds of surgeries that are designed to remove a cancerous growth on the skin:
- Excisional Surgery – The doctor will make incisions around the cancerous area of the skin. Aside from the tumor, a small amount of healthy skin surrounding the cancerous cells will be removed to ensure complete removal.
- Mohs Surgery – This popular procedure is often used to treat recurring skin cancer and skin cancers that are more difficult to treat. In Mohs surgery, the doctor removes skin from the affected area layer by layer. Each layer is studied under a microscope to check for cancer cells. The process continues until the doctor can no longer find cancerous cells on the skin. In this kind of surgery, healthy skin cells around the affected area are not removed.
Aside from these surgical procedures, the doctor can also recommend other kinds of treatments. This can include cryosurgery, where liquid nitrogen is used to freeze the affected skin area. Cryosurgery is used mainly for actinic keratosis. For melanoma and later-stage skin cancer, radiation therapy may be required.
Cost of Skin Cancer Treatment
The overall cost of skin cancer treatment in Fort Myers is affected by anesthesia fees, hospital fees, post-surgery garments, and medications. Price is also impacted by medical tests, surgeon’s fees, and the exact techniques employed.
Contact Us Today
Early treatment always provides better results for skin cancer. If you spot unusual growths on your skin like red or pink patches, skin lesions, or scaly skin, set up a consultation immediately for the diagnosis of skin cancer in Fort Myers. Contact our office for a consultation or call 239-947-4042.